Wednesday, April 22, 2009

So This is What it Feels Like to Actually Work

If you care about my routine, feel free to read on. Otherwise, I've left you other things to enjoy today.

Just look up or down. On the screen. 

Imabari and Uoshima couldn't be more different. On the island, I had one junior high school student that never came to class, one 6th grade elementary school student that I taught nearly once each week, and three other elementary school kids in a combined first-and-second grade class that I taught twice every three months. In my last four months on Uoshima, I taught a total of four or five classes. Seriously.

My first day teaching at Minami Junior High School, I taught four classes. Minami is one of my five new schools, and it's my base school--the one I where I spend the most time. In Japan, junior high schools are made up of 7th, 8th, and 9th graders. At Minami, there are four groups of students in each grade, each group having about 25 kids. The classes are numbered based on their year at the school--7th graders are in classes 1-1 through 1-4, 8th graders 2-1 through 2-4, and 9th graders 3-1 through 3-4. Students traditionally stay together in their home room while the teachers rotate between classrooms. It's probably a bit harder to get to know all the other kids at your school, but I'm sure that some kids grow pretty close after spending all year in the same class.

Each month, I teach five or six times at Minami. The classes are very simple; I'm often nothing more than a tape recorder for the JTE (Japanese Teacher of English), who's done most of the preparation for the lesson. It's nice to not have to stress about preparation at Minami, and the three JTEs that I work with are all pretty easy going. They're not all as comfortable with the English language, but the team teaching generally works pretty well. The kids don't usually have an ALT (assistant language teacher) in the classroom, so they get pretty excited when I show up. On average, I teach two classes a day at Minami, and usually with the same JTE.

It's a lot different having large classes. Games take a lot longer to complete, so it's easy to burn through class time. It's nice to have kids running around the school. Most kids are pretty well-behaved at Minami, though there are a few that like to be heard. I don't get upset, since that's probably what my teachers had to deal with. I'm pretty enthusiastic in class, and the kids usually feed off that energy.

Four to six days each month, I go to Sakurai Elementary School. There are three classes in each grade, each with 25-30 students. Instead of working with a JTE, I teach with varying levels of support from the HRT (home room teacher). My other elementary schools share the same setup. Most of the teachers understand a little bit of English, so they can help translate very basic words. Sometimes they are very self-conscious about their English and won't say a word during the lesson. Luckily, my Japanese has progressed enough to where I can translate most of what I say in English to Japanese.

Every time I teach at Sakurai, I teach all three classes of the same grade. It's nice having to prepare only one lesson for three separate classes. It makes it so that I don't worry as much about not being able to plan lessons with the HRTs until the night before, when I receive a phone call in Japanese. 

Shimizu elementary, where I go four or five times each month, is basically the bane of my existence. I teach two classes of two radically different grades (like 1st and 5th, 2nd and 4th, or 3rd and 6th), for a total of four classes each visit. English classes so far have taken place in a special foreign language room with materials and props--but the students have no desks. They sit on uncomfortable chairs and have no way to write. I'm beginning to see myself as an entertainer. Most of the teachers thus far haven't been too willing to help with the lessons, and they stand off to the side while I talk to the class.

Honestly, it's not that bad. It's just that it's so much busier than the other schools, and there's no communication with the staff. As I become more and more comfortable with Japanese, I am going to take it upon myself to initiate the communication with the teachers. I already communicate pretty well--I just am not yet familiar with all the school vocabulary (there wasn't much to discuss on Uoshima). In a month or so, I think I'll be up to the challenge. Also, as I learn which teaching strategies work best with each age group, I'll have a better idea of how to prepare lessons. Things will work out fine.

The first Monday of each month, I have an office day. I go to the city office and sit in a room with other ALTs from 9 until noon, and then I get to go home. From July 20th until August 30th, the students will be on summer vacation and I'll have office days. It's going to be great to sleep in until 7 and be home at 12:15 every day--and still get paid the same.

Every day I get up at about 6, put a cartoon on for Kelsey (who usually wakes up at about 6:15), and get ready for the day. I leave for work at 7:30 or 7:45, depending on the distance of the school I'm set to visit that day. Minami is a 15-20 minute bike ride from the house, while Shimizu takes about 20. Sakurai is a good 25-30 minutes away.

Two or three times a month, I travel to my last two schools, Okamura and Sekizen. They're really the same school; it's a junior high and an elementary school sharing a big building on Okamura, an island in the Seto Inland Sea. It's actually a lot like Uoshima--there are five or six junior high school students and about six or seven elementary school kids. It takes 20 minutes to bike to the port, and I take an 80-minute ferry at about 8:30. I arrive around 10AM and walk up to the school. I generally have two junior high school classes (about two students in each class) before lunch and two elementary school classes after. When I finish my last class, I leave the school early to catch the 4 PM boat back to Imabari. My time on Uoshima prepared me very well for Okamura. I know how to make lessons for small classes, and I really enjoy the face-to-face time with the kids.

Of all my schools, Minami is my favorite. John Scott's boy, Taro, is a student there. The kids really like me, and the teachers love to help me with my myriad Japanese grammar questions. They are often stumped when I ask about the difference between words. It's not surprising--imagine if I asked you to describe the difference between drop and fall. But I love the proximity to my house, the comfort I feel with the staff, and the stress-free quality that comes with working with good JTEs. The teachers genuinely seem happy to have me there; my predecessor wasn't quite as outgoing, from what I hear.

I love the island schools and Sakurai. I really enjoy eating lunch with the kids at those two schools. At Minami and Shimizu, I eat lunch in the staff room. It's quick and easy, but I miss out on QT with the kids. Today, at Sakurai, I ate lunch with the sixth graders. They sat me with a group of giggly girls that spent the whole time asking me questions about America and my family. It was a blast.

I really do love the kids. For the most part, the elementary school kids are peppy. The junior high school kids are a lot more self-conscious and unwilling to make mistakes in front of their peers. The same two or three kids will raise their hand every time in junior high, while a good 60-70 percent of kids will be willing to raise their hand in the elementary schools. Occasionally I'll run into a class that is either exhausted, famished, unprepared, or some combination of the three. They won't respond to any kind of game or question. When that happens, I just push on through, staying positive and trying to get them to participate. Having large groups of kids has reminded me how much I enjoy teaching. I love how I feel after a successful class.

Now I just need to get my own internet connection at home so I can fill you all in more frequently.

No comments: