Wednesday, January 28, 2009

25 Random Facts About Me

I figured I'd post this blurb from my facebook for everyone else to see. There's this "tag" game, where someone tags you, and you're supposed to make a list of 25 things about yourself, and then tag 25 other people. I normally hate making these lists, but I figured that the only way I could avoid future tags is by posting this now.

1. This is the third time I've been asked to do this, and I'm only getting around to it now because my wife asked me to. Sweet, only #24 more to go.
2. I'm really good at embarassing myself. No, not in the Spanish way.
3. Oh yeah, I'm fluent in Spanish and am learning Japanese. I can get by in Portuguese.
4. I want to learn German some day. And pretty much every other language.
5. I got hit by a car and died when I was 3 years old.
6. I'm such a goof that people often think I'm joking when I'm being serious. Yes, #5 did happen. My dad gave me a blessing and I started breathing again.
7. I got hit by a semi truck in my car (it hit me three times) when I was 19. It's a miracle that I'm still alive.
8. I teach English on a remote island in Japan. There are fewer than 200 people on the island, and I only have 5 students.
9. I have a competitive streak (read: bad temper) when I play games with people. I avoid games that require strategy, because I get too emotionally invested into them. I'm a lot more fun to be around when people aren't being competitive.
10. I hate working out, and can't understand why people think it's fun. The only way I can get myself to work out is if the exercise is hidden within some kind of competition, like with basketball.
11. I have a knack for noticing when other people aren't being tactful, but usually fail in my own attempts.
12. I'm an elitist when it comes to music. I don't like it if I think I could write it myself. Lyrics, while important, take a back seat to awesome harmony and innovative melodies. I hate poetry and songs that feel the need to tightly rhyme on the last word of each line (I wanna die, you make me wanna cry, I want some pie, I'm gonna sigh, etc.).
13. I think that cell phones are destroying the English language. "Your" is not the same as "you're". It's "couldn't care less", not "could care less". And it's "miss-chih-vus", not "miss-cheevy-us".
14. I'm so confident in my masculinity that I often make semi-veiled sexual advances at friends named Ryan.
15. I'm usually the tallest guy on the basketball team, but I like to shoot three-pointers. I shoot better from outside the arc than I do from inside. Yeah, I'm pretty awesome. No big deal.
16. I have the coolest wife in the world. She was willing to come to a remote island in a strange country with me, even though she was pregnant.
17. I watched my wife give birth 14 weeks early on a small boat in the middle of the night in the middle of the sea.
18. I love isolation, as long as my family is with me. But I also love being in small groups of people, because I like to make people laugh.
19. I hated high school. I was too nerdy for the cool people and too cool for the nerds. The only reason I'd ever consider going to a high school reunion would be to rub my successes into other peoples' faces. But that would be bad form.
20. As much as I love being around my family, I couldn't live in Orangevale. It's not about them--I just feel like everything worthwhile that I've ever done was away from Orangevale. Going back brings back feelings of discomfort and insecurity. People back there don't know the real me, and never did.
21. I didn't try out for the basketball team because of insecurities about my physique. But now I'm proud of my moobies.
22. I may be the youngest person ever with BPH. Large prostate = me having to pee every 2-3 hours (sometimes every hour). I've slept through the night maybe three or four times in the last 10 years.
23. I have a photographic memory for things that don't matter. I remember minute details, phone numbers, addresses, other peoples' account numbers, names (to go with faces). However, I can't, for the life of me, remember things that are important. Like taking out the trash. Or to wash the dishes. I just don't think about those things. I'm more than willing to do them most of the time. I just need a little, "Hey, could you do the dishes?"
24. I'm an extremely disorganized person. My desk is always messy, as is my dresser. My thoughts are usually somewhat jumbled.
25. I'm extremely persistent with repetitive tasks. I'm willing to trudge through the monotony that others aren't. If I get on a cleaning kick, I won't stop until whatever I'm cleaning is spotless. If I'm fixing a computer or an Xbox, or organizing mp3s, or trying to hit a sales goal, I will not stop until I have achieved my goal.

No comments: