Friday, September 12, 2008

You're welcome, Uoshima!

So, it's Saturday, and I'm at work. We had this Monday off, but have to work on Saturday to make up for it. Work is a bit of an overstatement, though. I don't have anybody to teach, so I'm just sitting at my desk, watching the time tick by. I left for work at the perfect time today. Right as I neared the foliage-covered incline leading up to the school, it started to pour. I managed to avoid getting rained on. I guess it didn't really matter, though. Within seconds of arriving at school, I was drenched in sweat.

Today will be my first performance with Uoshima'X. We're playing in front of a bunch of elderly people. As you can see (if you watched the dismal rehearsal video), our song is in English (sort of), so they aren't going to have any clue what's going on. The pressure's not too high right now. The mayor of Kamijima is coming to the festivities, though, so that adds a little excitement. It's pretty low-key, though. I don't mind that I don't have a rock star voice; I like the fear-management aspect that comes with performing.

I found a Netflix-like service out here that has a surprisingly good selection of American TV DVDs. We made a list of shows we want to watch that are available (it's about 15 shows deep at this point). We're going to start with Lost and Stargate SG-1 (and maybe one more) and work from there. Being immersed in Japanese culture is cool and all, but sometimes you need something to remind you of home.

1 comment:

Ryan and Erin said...

Your blog is so freaking funny! I love it, love it, love it!