Sunday, October 21, 2007

Transformers

Stef and I watched Michael Bay's Transformers last night for the first time. We wanted so badly to like this movie, but no matter what kind of positive spin we put on it, we couldn't. One-liners, while entertaining, are not a substitute for dialogue. The special effects were good, but that was about it.

With some time to reflect on the movie, I've softened my stance on the movie. We didn't hate it by any means. Everyone we know talked about how great it was, so we had gone in with high expectations. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see it on a big screen, so we didn't get to appreciate the visuals as much as we could have. It was kind of cool that the same voice actor that voiced Optimus Prime in the cartoon was hired for the movie. However, since we were just using our home theater system, the audio didn't have the same effect that theater sound would have had. The transformers' voices seemed oddly detached from the bodies.

I was able to predict some scenes quite easily, such as who would be the first to die on Air Force One (a black secret service agent). Each race was pretty stereotypically represented. Even the black transformer (Jazz, who is a Porsche, not a Pontiac) was the only one to die. Perhaps I am being too critical. After all, this is Michael Bay we're talking about here. Maybe I shouldn't have waited until the DVD release to watch it. I mean, I expected robots to blow up other robots--and got that--but for some reason allowed myself to dislike the script and dialogue. Is it too much to ask to have believable characters in an Summer action movie? Probably.

No comments: