Monday, May 23, 2011

The Hospital Room

The night before leaving for the hospital, I packed a large suitcase full of clothes, books, toys and personal electronics. I figured I'd have a decent amount of time for language study while Mia recovered in her hospital room. I tried to get all of the paperwork ready, but couldn't find Mia's insurance card, which I had last seen at Mia's previous hospital appointment weeks earlier. Hours of combing through every nook and cranny of our apartment proved futile, so I called the hospital help line and made sure that we'd be able to check in without our insurance card.

The next morning, Kris, our Canadian friend and neighbor, drove me and Mia out to the hospital. We took a mountain road which I had never taken before, and got to the hospital in good time. Kris held Mia as I checked in and tried to explain to the receptionist that I had lost the insurance card. As grateful as I was for Kris' help, I admit that it felt a little strange to feel everyone's eyes on us, likely thinking that we were a couple. Once everything was sorted out, they directed us to the 3rd wing of the second floor of the hospital, the Pediatric High Care Unit.

In Japan, any child's non-ICU hospital stay requires a parent or guardian to stay with the child at all times. There's no full care like there is back home. While I'm sure that helps keep costs low, it sure is nerve-wracking to feel like your own child's well-being while in the hospital is in your hands--especially when you're not sleeping or stressed out for other reasons (which I'll get to later). When I got to the PHCU, I talked to the nurse at the front desk, who offered to show us to our room.


Kris had told me that each of her children got private rooms when they had procedures done at that hospital and stayed in the PHCU. When the nurse ushered us into a room with four sliding curtains to section off "rooms", I started sweating. It got worse when one of the three other patients staying in the room, a little girl under two years of age, started screaming. I looked at the space available in the curtained-off section and my nervousness turned to despair.

There was no way that a bed large enough to fit me would fit into that space. Even if there were a way, there would be no way that I could sleep for two to three weeks with nothing more than a curtain to separate us from potentially three crying children. More importantly, there was no way that Mia would feel comfortable in such a setting.

"This will not work. There is no way. No way," I repeated to myself and Kris as I desperately searched for a solution to the plan. I went to the PHCU desk and asked the head nurse if there were any private rooms available. I was willing to pay if it came down to it. I referred to the hospital information guide that I had received at the front desk, which contained info about private rooms starting at 3000 yen per night. "Sorry, there aren't any of those left," replied the nurse. Not willing to let things be unless they absolutely had to, I mustered the best "worried" face I could and mentioned that I thought that it "might be a bit difficult" to make that room work. The nurse walked away and, after a few minutes, came back with a solution--a private room that was completely empty, but was being used for some other purpose. To top it off, it didn't cost me any extra.

Why they weren't using that room wasn't exactly clear--it's possible that they keep all the patients in the same room to make it easier for them to keep watch. Regardless, I was grateful that they were willing to accomodate me, even if it was clear that I was seen as a bit of a nuisance. After I moved all of our stuff into the private room and said goodbye to Kris, I went down to the basement floor of the hospital to get my bed.

When you stay with a patient, you have to rent all your bedding from the hospital. They won't let you bring any sort of bedroll or blankets, and they clearly make money off of the whole process. Knowing this beforehand, I decided to bring a blanket and pillow anyway, because I knew that I'd have a hard time sleeping on the bags full of rocks that they call pillows. I told the lady down at the bedding rental desk that I didn't need anything but the bed, and they gave me a six foot-long plywood foldout mat with sliver-thin vinyl facing masquerading as a cushion.

There's a problem with six foot-long plywood foldout mats with sliver-thin vinyl facing--and not just that they're as hard as a rock and less broad than my shoulders. They're six feet long. And I'm longer. Much longer. I set it up in the room and tested it to see if I'd be able to sleep on it, and immediately knew that I was in for a rough three weeks. I sheepishly asked the nurse if there was any other solution, and mentioned that I was willing to pay for anything suitable. They brought me another folding bed like the one I had, and told me that they wouldn't charge me for it. I placed them side-by-side and saw that one was about an inch taller than the other. I couldn't lay in the middle of them because of the ridge, so laying diagonally across both beds was the only option, and even that didn't seem to be very comfortable.

I brought my laptop with me hoping that I'd be able to get an internet connection. The hospital offers an free wired connection from 6 AM until 9 PM, outside of which hours you get a message telling you that you need to come back later. When I hooked my computer up, I couldn't even get the welcome screen to pop up. The room truly had not been set up for patient use, so the internet was not yet functional. They sent a networking expert down to get the room set up for future internet use. We spent about an hour trying to get the connection up and running, but couldn't seem to get the network to issue an IP address in that room.

That afternoon, Mia had some tests, including a blood test, a heart ultrasound (echocardiogram), and a chest X-ray. I had to leave to take care of that, but told them that they could work on it without me there if they so desired. When we got back from the tests, the computer was connected to the hospital network's welcome screen, ready for me to enter in a username and password. I was ecstatic to have an internet connection, but sure that I wouldn't be able to Skype, since I figured that it the hospital blocked the ports necessary to use it. To my surprise, even Skype worked.

I feel really fortunate to live in this day and age, where I can talk to and even see people that are far away as though they're right next to me. It was a life saver to be able to see Kelsey and Stef, and have them video chat with Mia. As long as it wasn't after 9 PM or before 6 AM. There must have been someone manually flipping an internet switch every morning and night, because I got the "outside of usage hours" message all the way until about 6:45 AM every day, and it didn't actually get disconnected until some time around 9:45 at night. It would have been nice to have the connection all the time, because I typically couldn't get much done while Mia was awake. When I had the most free time for study or blogging, the internet was unavailable. Still, I'm glad that I had it during the day, as it helped to keep me occupied for the first couple of weeks.

That first night was not a good night. All out of medicine for my rhino-sinusitis (Latin for "inflammation of the rhinoceros horn stuck in your face") and unable to take my mind off of Mia's surgery and the craggy "bed", I did not sleep at all until about 5 AM, when I became so exhausted from the previous day's events that I could have slept on a bed of nails, broken glass and hot lava. Surprisingly, Mia slept through the night in her unfamiliar surroundings. I was expecting a bit more resistance from her in her prison cell hospital bed. The nurses came in at 7:30 to get us up for the day. We had more tests (including a CT scan) on the docket, as well as a meeting with the chief surgeon to explain the procedure and all its possible risks and outcomes.

During that meeting, he asked me if there were any worries or concerns I had. I admitted that I was worried about whether or not I'd be able to sleep well, since the bed was a bit small and I was out of medicine, but shrugged my shoulders and said that I'd keep on keepin' on. He asked for my height and then asked the nurse to help me find something more comfortable. They pulled an electric examination table out of one of the exam room and asked if that would be sufficient. It was just long enough, quite a bit wider, and actually had a cushion. I was thrilled--it was much better than what I had before.

I felt a little guilty about asking for stuff when the other patients' parents made do with what they were offered. I apologized profusely for inconveniencing the staff, but deep down, I was glad that I went to the trouble of asking for help. It's often true that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

No comments: