Tuesday, March 11, 2008

good.

Tonight we had our final regular season intramural basketball game. As we sat and waited for the previous game to end, our opponents walked in. It was a group of kids that we had played one weeknight at the church building a month or so ago. When we saw them, we knew it'd be a win for us. They're a good bunch of kids, but they were severely lacking height. When we played them at the chapel, we beat them 21-2. Scott Gale and I played post, and it worked beautifully. The floor was open for people to cut to the hoop, and nobody could really stop us from scoring.

That's not entirely true. I got fouled almost every time I tried to score from closed, but there wasn't a single call. On one shot, I had a guy hanging on my arm to the point that I couldn't even get the shot off right, and there was no call. On another one, I actually got hit so hard in the head that I bled for a little. Still no call. I realize that I shouldn't be frustrated when we're winning by 20 points, but when the other team is saying sorry for fouling you and telling the refs that they were wrong, something's wrong with the refs. It was great to see everyone have fun. Everybody played pretty well; Tony even hit a 3.

The final score was 60-49, which seems a lot closer than it really was. Before that, we had built and maintained a 20-plus point lead for the whole game. Gale scored quite a bit but went down with an injury halfway through the second half. Ryan distributed the ball pretty well, and Lance cut to the hoop a few times. I got a bit frustrated with the no-calls and took a couple shots that I shouldn't have taken. In the end I had a good game: 22 points, 5ish assists, probably over 10 rebounds, and 4-5 blocks. I was probably about 4-8 from the arc (I didn't keep track of the misses; maybe I was 4-9), and 5-12 from the rest of the floor. I didn't turn the ball over once, which is the stat I'm most proud of. Oh, and Ryan and I ran the "set play" twice, where he dribbles to the top of the key while I run around him and he pops the ball out while setting a screen. I made it both times, and the second one was a high, deep three (it felt like 30 feet or so).

I enjoyed making more passes tonight. It would've been a perfect game if I had just spent a little less time complaining about the lack of calls. I seriously think the refs didn't call them because I was piping up the whole time. Playoffs start soon. I think we'll have a game every couple nights until we lose.

Kelsey was being really cute tonight, too. For some reason, she really wanted to hold my hand. I walked with her as she held my finger until we had gotten about halfway down the hall. Then Stef picked her up, but she got really fussy and held her hand out towards me. I gave her my finger and she held on, instantly cheering up. Stef and I walked to the car, Stef holding Kelsey and Kelsey holding my finger. When we got to the car, Stef strapped her in and she got fussy. So, I drove home from the game with one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand in Kelsey's hand, keeping her happy.

It's heart-warming to have her be so attached to me. She's not normally like that. Ooh, it's late--time for bed.

No comments: